Translate

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day 10-Peace on Earth

Day 10- As I moved through day ten of my challenge I began to notice things differently. I realized that this journey is changing me and the way that I interact with my surroundings. Today I find myself more at peace and I just notice that I am noticing what is going on around me and with me without judgment. I notice and realize that things are what they are and am mindful in a way I have not been in quite some time. I am not as hurried, even though I am busy, and am in a state of peaceful bliss despite feeling like there is a tornado of activity around me. Today I did several acts of kindness, although they may be considered common courtesy, but they are not acts I would always do for others in my "busy"ness. I lent an ear to a co-worker who needed to vent and process a situation that occured and hurt her feelings. I offered no advice or words of wisdom. I merely listened and provided empathic responses to her plight. Most days, before beginning this challenge I might would have disengaged too suddenly or would have provided only divided attention while worrying about getting my tasks done for the day. Instead, I offered my listenting ears to her with full presence of mind and hope that I made her day go a little more smoothly. In a similar fashion while shopping at two different locations today, I allowed two sets of shoppers ahead of me as I could hear them sighing and puffing about having to wait in line. I smiled and offered my place in line stating, "I notice you have only a few items, and I am in no hurry...please go ahead." At first they appeared surprised, but then gladly accepted my offer. I also took time at a craft store today to teach two ladies how to knit using a particular type of yarn. I could have just directed them to the books or to a YouTube video, but instead took the time to show them myself. They both were friendly, warm and provided me with a laugh during the interaction. I am learning to be less hurried, more mindful and aware of how each little interaction creates a sort of energy that gets passed on, moves through relationships and impacts the environment. I am learning to spread peace. I am learning not to forget the smallest acts may have the most impact. 355 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment