Translate

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Day 9-On Fire

Day 9-On Christmas day there are populations of the work force who must report to duty despite the holiday. One special group of these professionals, I hold near and dear to my heart. Fire fighters must work despite holidays, missing time with their families on Christmas mornings and I remember the scenario all too well. I remember getting up extra early on Christmas mornings when it was my father's shift to work. By doing so he could see what Santa brought us and spend a few minutes opening packages with us before reporting for duty. You see, he was a career fire fighter and missed many holidays, big games and special events as a result of his passion for the work that he did. For Christmas Day I knew that I wanted to do an act of kindness for a station of fire fighters. I stayed up late on Christmas eve and browned sausage and put together a lasagna. After we got up, opened presents and had a nice family breakfast, I put the lasagna in the oven to bake. I had a particular station in mind as it was one that my father had been a batallion chief, however as I pulled the dish out of the oven to deliver, my husband stopped me. He asked me which station I intended to take the lasagna to and when I told him he offered another station. He went on to identify a station where first responders would be working who saved his father's life when he had a heart attack more than 10 years ago. He asked me if I would consider taking it to that station instead. My husband is getting in on the kindness now :) and I accepted his influence. I agreed to the station he chose and when we arrived with the dish, I stayed in the car with our toddler son and allowed him the experience and opportunity to deliver it. I could see smiles, laughter, an animated conversation, and handshakes. He got back in the car with a smile on his face and told me that one of the firefighters was joking about being son-in-law to my father. It's a brotherhood that will always exist for those who choose that line of work. Even though it was a small gesture, I hope they know how appreciative we are of the sacrifice they make every day. 356 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment