Translate

Friday, December 21, 2012

Day 5-Getting Over Myself

Day 5: As I made my blog entry last evening, my husband approached me. He said, "If you are going to do an act of kindness tomorrow, I've got one for you." I looked up hesitantly wondering what challenge he was prepared to offer. I knew this would be no act of random kindness but a targeted one instead. He told me that our son's daycare has a decoration next to the water fountain of stockings with all of the teachers' and aides' names in the school on them. He went on to explain that a cup of paper strips and pens were stationed nearby and the purpose was to write kind messages, well wishes and thank you notes to the teachers and put them in the stockings. I usually drop off and pick up our son and I had noticed the stockings but did not know that parents were supposed to write notes. He went on to tell me that a particular teacher did not have any notes in her stocking. Now, I need to give you a little history lesson here so that you will understand the situation. This particular teacher, the one with no notes in her stocking has not always been kind to my son or to me. As he went on talking about the situation I had a visceral response. There was a tightening in my stomach. Now mind you, I am kind and pleasant to this teacher, and have given her gifts at appropriate gift giving times such as teacher appreciation day, Christmas, and end of the school year but the thought of doing this extra task gave me pause. My initial response to my husband was, "How do you know her stocking wasn't so full that it had to be emptied and put up for another go 'round?" That question was quickly answered for me this morning when I walked into the building. I looked at the overflowing notes in other stockings and knew that it could not be the case that this one had been emptied. Some of the other stockings were so jammed with notes it looked as though the seams might burst. I knew her stocking had been skipped over and realized that I needed to get over myself and do this kind deed. I checked my son in, dropped him off in his classroom and headed to the slips of paper and pens. I wrote a heartfelt thanks for the care she gives my child and the lessons that she prepares and signed the note from our family. How many times do we hold on to negative feelings waiting for someone else to make it right? If I am to have a year of kindness it should also include forgiveness and new beginnings for damaged relationships. Although a small feat, today was by no means easy, but by taking this step and completing an act of kindness I am mending old hurts. I hope it will be well received. My intention was good and I am not responsible for the interpretation by the recipient, but hope she will be provided with some warmth and accept my gratitude. What have you been waiting to do or need to get over yourself to complete? 360 more days of kindness...are you in?

2 comments:

  1. From my cousin Tally :)...check out this awesome story!!!!!

    Last night I was in Lynchburg, it was pouring rain and windy. I was hurriedly trying to find a place to park at Wal-Mart, there was this older woman weaving her cart all through the driving lane, admittedly at first I was annoyed. I parked and saw she was still wandering around, I went up to her and said "Ma'm, do you need help finding your car." "Yes" she replied. She said it's a Honda Accord with a handicap tag in the window, I quickly scanned the handicapped parking spaces and found it, 4 rows over. I told her I see it, she said great thank you, I said no I'll push the cart over and load your bags. She said "Do you work here?" I said "No, I just saw you I figured you could use the help." She said "Thank you so much, this means a lot to me, people don't do stuff like this anymore. I'm Sally and I'll be 87 in March." She asked my name and we laughed a minute at having such similar names. I loaded her bags in her trunk and took her cart for her. Wished her a Merry Christmas. I was thankful I met Sally and have thought of her throughout the day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A story from my sweet friend Jennifer!

    Day 5: piggybacking on the daycare story... We have been truly blessed with a wonderful teacher for our 2 year old Ellie! I give anyone kudos that can work with 15 toddlers all day long but our teacher has gone above and beyond. She honestly loves Ellie and lets us know it. We always buy a little Christmas gift for the teachers, the usual candles/candy deal. As I dropped off her gift this morning I learned her husband was diagnosed with leukemia and will be starting chemo early next year. I hugged her as told her I would pray for her and her husband. I called my husband and ask him to please pick up some roses for her; her favorite flower. This afternoon I pulled Ellie from class to have her personally deliver the flowers. She hugged me and cried as she was thankful for our prayers and kindness. Also, Bryon helped an elderly lady put groceries in her car and saved a runaway cart from causing a wreck today!

    ReplyDelete