Translate

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Day 6-Thank you for your protection and service

Day 6- Today I reflect on the power of the collective unconcious. At work this week a co-worker shared with me Ann Curry's work in the world of kindness and her tag line is the same as mine...."are you in?" I like Ann Curry but had no idea she had this project going or how it originated. I am pleased to know that others think of kindness in the same way in this pay it forward style. My friend Melissa put $10.00 towards another lady's haircut yesterday to help brighten her day because it looked as if the stranger had a difficult one. Of course, I knew others must be doing this too after the tragedy at Sandy Hook. Again, I saw a friend's post (same Melissa just mentioned, with a heart of gold) on FaceBook that many across the country are doing 26 acts of kindness for the innocent 26 who lost their lives in the school that terrible day. I say "rah rah rah", but why stop at 26? Keep it going if you can, and see how far it can go! Again, the power of the collective unconcious is a beautiful thing :). Today I decided to make cookies and find a security officer to give them to with a note of thanks and a challenge to pass along the kindness if at all possible. I set out to finish up my Christmas shopping with the container of cookies and note in my purse. Obviously, I have a large purse ;). As I scoured the mall looking for a security officer, I had much difficulty. The mall was packed with shoppers bustling about. As I moved through the mall with my bags, one of the vendors from a kiosk approached me wanting to offer me some sort of information about a hair curling/straightening product. Usually, I would have snapped or ignored this person who I find to be similar to a telemarketer. Instead, I turned to her, smiled and politely said, "thank you for asking, but right now I'm looking for someone." She politely and gratefully smiled back. After all, it can't be an easy job to have approaching strangers all day for a service they most likely are not interested in and having to recoil each time a person is not polite in response. I realized in this moment that my project is not only impacting others, but me as well. Now mind you, I am a generally pleasant and polite person, but I do have my limits. I am a busy working mother after all and a human being. As I continued walking I thought to myself, "I bet there will be someone in the food court." As I approached the food court I saw not one but two officers at the far end of the corridor. Both of them had their eyes trained on the busy crowd but looked as though they were having a friendly discussion. One officer was a Campbell County Deputy and the other a Lynchburg City Police Officer. As I got closer they both turned to look at me. I gently said, "Excuse me, I don't mean to bother you, but I am on a mission of kindness to do a kind act for others every day, and you are my people today" as I passed them the container of cookies with the note. They both tipped their hats and said "Thank you ma'am." I laughed at their unison in doing so and responded, "make sure you share with each other" and turned back into the crowd. I appreciate every day those who put others safety and well being ahead of their own and am glad that I got to say "thank you" in a real and active way today. 359 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment