Translate

Monday, December 24, 2012

Day 8-Remembering Granny

Day 8-Today is the eighth day on this journey of mine, and it is Christmas Eve. As I reflect on the holiday season I am reminded that it has been seven years since my granny passed away. My husband never got to really know my granny as he only knew the woman the Alzheimer's and delirium had changed her into. My granny was a hard woman in many ways, but she doted on the grandchildren and challenged us to be the best people we could be. I think she would be proud of the grown up and mother that I am. My act of kindness today was to honor her. While I was at JoAnn Fabric looking for some fabric and craft supplies, I noticed that they had their no sew fleece blankets on sale. I was drawn to a particular one that was black with paisly elephants on it, possibly because Dumbo is on repeat at my house right now. I spent time cutting and putting the blanket together and decided that I would donate it to a local nursing home for the workers to give to a resident who might be in need of such a comfort. As I left work this afternoon and pulled into the center with the blanket, I realized that it said "Memory Care Facility" on the marquee. I had no idea when I chose this particular location that it was a facility that specialized in such conditions such as delirium and dementia, the same conditions that ravaged the mind of my granny. I teared up when I saw the sign and quickly parked outside the front door. I ran through the rain as not too get to wet and entered the foyer. I would not be allowed past the foyer and into the living facility, I knew, because I was not an approved visitor for any particular resident. The receptionist at the desk was on the phone and I had to wait for about two minutes while she smiled at me apologetically for not being able to assist me immediately. When she hung up from helping the caller she apologized for my wait as she opened the window. I explained this mission of mine and explained that I was donating the blanket for a resident in memory of my grandmother who had been plagued by Alzheimer's disease. A patient care professional entered the office while I was handing the blanket through the window, she heard my statement and smiled. The receptionist lovingly ran her hand along the blanket and asked, "Did you make this? It's beautiful" to which I replied, "yes and I hope someone will really enjoy it." She smiled at me and said, "I know we can find a good home for this and thank you so much." I thanked her for her kindness and then walked back out into the rain to my car. I could not help but call my mother to tell her about the serendipidity of my choice. I am reminded that knowing where we are going depends on looking back and reflecting on where we have been. It is interesting to me how the pieces fall into place if we just trust that they will. 357 more days of kindness...are you in?

1 comment:

  1. Today we took cookies to the local fire station or "fire fighters' house" as Camden calls it. Although we appreciate all that our local crew does, we also know what it is like to not have your whole family together on a holiday. We just wanted to say thanks and enjoy some cookies.

    ReplyDelete