Translate

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Day 2-Just a Little Pick Me Up

Day 2: So I decided to move a thread out from my coffee shop experience yesterday and take a cup of coffee to an unsuspecting person. In my area there is so much construction going on right now and I notice how tired the workers appear every morning. I decided I would take a cup of coffee, write a note on it and give to one of the sign holders for the "slow" and "stop" traffic. I ordered my coffee and the barista smiled and said "You want two today?" to which I just smiled and affirmed. Of course, my little guy got his cookies too :). After I dropped Owen off at daycare I headed to work. As I approached the construction zone I realized my arm would not be long enough to reach the passenger window to pass the coffee. I realized he would have to reach inside my car. Now, just so you know, I am a person who is not sure of others being in my personal space when I don't have a relationship with them, and I started to rethink my plan to make myself more comfortable. Then I realized, this is what my project is all about. It's about stepping out of your comfort zone to do something for another person. Sure, I'm a kind and thoughtful person, but this exercise...this journey that I am on, is bigger than that. It's about stretching and growing and that is what I determined to do. Next, I looked up in my rearview mirror to see all of the traffic behind me. It is rush hour in the morning after all, and I thought people behind me might become impatient. They might honk their horns or say not so nice things. I decided they would have to wait...this was too important. As I pulled up and rolled my window down the construction worker approached my car. I smiled and held out the coffee with the kind note and said, "I got this coffee for you this morning." He looked at me quizzically and then it happened. The biggest smile I have ever seen formed on his face and he exclaimed, "Really?!". Then he said it. The seven magic words. An invitation for a challenge. He said, "I don't know how to thank you." I smiled, took a deep breath and replied "Just do something kind for another person." He tipped his hat, took the coffee and I hope had a great day. As I drove away my phone buzzed. I later learned that a dear friend, Jessica, bought breakfast for strangers at McDonald's on her way to work. We are off and running folks...changing the world with one kind act at a time. 363 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment