Translate

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Day 3-A Note

Day 3-As I began my day I was unsure of what my random act of kindness would be today. I was meeting my husband for dinner and childcare was secured for pick up and dinner for my little guy, so I decided I would do some last minute Christmas shopping to get a few items I still needed for people on my list. As I drove through the parking lots I saw lots of grumpy faces, cars cutting each other off and a general lack of holiday spirit. When I pulled into a space at the shopping center I saw her. A woman about my age rummaging through her car looking distressed and in a hurry. To say she looked flustered doesn't even begin to describe the situation. It was like the universe had delivered her to me. She was the person I needed to help today with an act of random kindness. I knew it the moment I saw her. I was unsure of what to do. I didn't want to startle her. Again, this is my journey, but others may not quite understand or believe the kindness is genuine. Today was going to be more delicate. I looked around and began to think. As I started to get out of my car I saw it. A stack of Christmas cards was sitting on the passenger seat of my car. I got back in the seat and closed the door. I looked through my purse until I found a pen and I began to write. My words filled up both sides of the inside of the card. I wrote about enjoying moments and providing well wishes. I ended the card with a statement of hoping that I had possibly provided her with a moment of Christmas cheer and peace during the busy holiday season. I sealed the envelope and got out of the car. I walked to her car and gingerly lifted the windshield wipers and left the card underneath. I didn't see her when I returned to my car after grabbing a few items, but her car and the card were still there. I didn't get to see her face, but I am trusting that the card made a difference in her day. I hope that knowing another person noticed her and through offering encouragement to her provided her with some happiness. How often do we go through our days not noticing or being fully present with others? Today's act reminded me that you do not always know what others are facing in their lives and how much a kind word could mean. 362 more days of kindness....are you in?

3 comments:

  1. Random Act of Kindness #1 - cards sent to first responders and the brave teachers and staff of Sandy Hook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bailey,
    I think you should keep a running count of random acts of kindness that not just you do but other people do and tell you about as part of your project. In a year, I think it will be cool to see how many lives were touched. And these would be only the ones you know about, not even counting the ones where people pay it forward etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niven,

      great idea! I'll do my best to keep a running list and will update throughout! Thanks for the suggestion :).

      Delete