Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day 48-A Gift and a Sad Anniversary

Day 48-On the forty eighth day of my journey of kindness I got to spend time with my family. Not only did my sister and brother-in-law come to visit with my adorable niece and nephew, but my father, my son's beloved Doodah came to spend the night with us as well. In addition, my mother came over during the day while everyone played together. I should probably tell you that my parents are divorced, about 14 years divorced at this point, and I am incredibly fortunate that they spared us the fussing, arguing and not getting along part of that process. Apparently they could remain friends and civil in order for all of us to have a relationship, spend time together and continue to be a family in an unconventional sort of way. Believe me, I know this is not an easy feat and am grateful that they could do this for all of our sake. This was an extra special day to be with my father as today marked the anniversary of the death of his father and my PawPaw. We spent time this evening reflecting on family and the impact my grandfather had on our own development. On day forty eight I decided to do an act of kindness for another family member who has a birthday coming up this next week. I remember how when my grandfather died it happened that he was buried on his youngest daughter's birthday. In honor of both her and my grandfather I decided to make and give my aunt a scarf with a yarn that I knew she would love. I must tell you that while gifts are a love language, it is not one I can always afford, so I am not in the regular habit of getting birthday gifts for my extended family. In other words, since this is not something I usually do, I decided it would be my act of kindness for the day. I spent the afternoon lovingly crafting the item and then made the packaging in which it would be delivered. I texted her before going to bed to make sure she would be home in the morning for me to deliver it to her. When we are faced with painful and sad occasions it is nice to know that we can find comfort in family and support in one another. Where there is sadness, there is also hope. There is a challenge to seize every day and make the most of every moment we have with one another. I love my family and am grateful every day that I got to grow up with them. I am fortunate that so many of them live close by to help with my son's experience of growing up as well. 217 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment