Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day 49-Cancer is a Four Letter Word

Day 49-On day forty nine in my journey of kindness I had a plan. I have several people in my life who are close to me that are battling, have recently battled and continue to fight cancer. Not only that, but I have several family members who are survivors of cancer as well. I imagine there are few of us on the planet who could boast to know no one who has been touched in some sort of way by the diagnosis of cancer. Whether a family family member, friend, co-worker, or spouse the "C" word is not one that anyone wants to hear. As far as I'm concerned, it's a four letter word. Not only do we not want to hear it...if we have heard it...we certainly don't want to hear it again. Unfortunately, there are many who have to battle this disease over and over again, and in my family we have a current family member who has been diagnosed for the third time. It certainly seems unfair and what astounds me is that in this area of the world many people will try to provide comfort by saying "there's a purpose" or "a reason." There could possibly be no purpose or reason for such a devastating diagnosis. Sure, I believe one can make a purpose and become stronger and live life in a carpe diem fashion due to being diagnosed with cancer, but to say there is a purpose or a reason feels inappropriate at a minimum and downright unempathic and hurtful at a maximum (now I'll get off my soap box). So, today I decided to provide comfort and some immune boosting substance by putting together a healthy pumpkin and flax bread that contains yogurt as well. It is an antioxidant rich loaf that can help support immunity and give the energy needed to help stave off the nasty cells making the person their host. It's my way of punching cancer in the nose. Really that's what it needs, a good old fashioned punch in the nose. It needs an army of people who say, "Nope...not gonna happen here. We are here to fight! We are not here to accept you and you are not welcome here...so move on!" It may not be delivered by tonight, but it is on my counter wrapped and ready to go. My act of kindness today is to fight and if you agree...reach out to someone you know who has cancer or make a donation to the American Cancer Association. 216 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment