Translate

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 58-Care Package

Day 58-Today is day fifty eight in my journey of kindness. I am approaching almost a full two months of engagement in acts of kindness. Stay tuned for day sixty when I will again recap the acts of kindness, how many people have been directly impacted and a forecast of what is to come in the days ahead. Today I prepared a care package for a loved one. I have a family member who will be traveling out of state to participate in a medical assessment at a research hospital in order to be provided with the best possible medical care for a diagnosis of re-occurring cancer. On my way home I stopped by the grocery store. I filled a bag with drinks, crunchy snacks, healthy snacks, gum, a magazine, and a card. When I got home I filled out the card and added a little something extra to the bag. When I delivered the goodies tonight I told them that I hoped the treats would help the day pass in a more enjoyable way tomorrow. What was the extra item I put into the bag? It was a small plastic green T-Rex that could growl at the cancer and scare it away or be used to set limits with care staff if they were not as kind as possible. Either way...the token brought a smile and I hope will bring some comfort and humor during an uncertain time. Even though I cannot be there in person to offer my support tomorrow, I hope the package will remind the recipient that I am thinking of them and am holding them in my thoughts. Sometimes it is helpful to just let others know that they are valued, their journey is not a solitary struggle and to give permission. I give permission overtly every day for others to be present with their feelings with me, to acknowlege the struggle and to allow me to walk their path with them for a while. Not only are they changed by the journey, but because our souls and experience are intertwined I am changed as well. I heard somewhere recently that "courage is telling your story with your whole heart" and I wear mine on my sleeve. I guess, in my own way, I am brave. 207 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment