Translate

Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 47-Orange Cranberry Bread

Day 47-Today is day 47 in my journey of kindness. I decided that today would be a targeted act of kindness. Last night after eating supper with my family, and after Owen helped wash the dishes, we set out to make a special breakfast treat. He got a bowl from inside a low cabinet and brought it over to me to place on the counter. I pulled the stool up to the counter and let him put the ingredients in the bowl. I explained to him that we were making an orange cranberry breakfast bread. He looked at me smiled, licked his lips and said "Nom nom nom!" He helped me stir the ingredients and pour the batter into a prepared pan. We stuck it in the oven and then went upstairs to read a night night story and to get him ready for bed. I set the timer and asked my husband to check on the treat when the timer dinged. When I came back downstairs to the cooling bread I put it on a rack and then set about to do some chores. After it cooled I wrapped it gingerly in plastic wrap to take to it's recipient on Friday morning (today). When I got to work I went right to the peron's desk for whom the bread was intended. She is a dear person who always has a full plate at work. She is friendly and warm and always very helpful. Not only that, but she has recently had some family stressors going on and I wanted to give her the bread as a treat that she could use for her family on Saturday morning. I hope she will be able to enjoy a cup of coffee and have the bread with her family and won't have to rush to make a special breakfast for the morning. I wrote a note with the bread expressing my appreciation for all that she does and to offer her some encouragement as she continues to be such a helper to others. There is a quote that I read often on others' social media pages that talks about being kinder than necessary with whom we interact as we never know what kind of struggle others are facing. This is so true. Sometimes we fail to recognize that just a smile or kind encouraging word could make the difference in someone's day. Today I made an overt showing of support for a co-worker. 218 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment