Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 65-The Candy (Wo)man

Day 65-On day 65 in my journey of kindness I completed an act of kindness that has the potential to impact a number of people. I collected the candy from my house and filled two full gallon size ziplock bags. I got into the car, buckled my son in and headed off for the day. After I dropped him off I continued my journey to work. When I got to work I hustled into the building and dropped my things off in my office. I then took the two bags of candy to the nurses' station. I told her nurse on duty I was donating the candy for use to give children when they have their blood drawn, for prize box, etc. She smiled and accepted my gift. I hope that my donation will offset any cost for candy and will also provide the children with a smile. I love where I work and feel so fortunate every day to be surrounded with kind and generous souls. I guess my act today kept that cycle going in a way. Interestingly, I had to get my hair trimmed tonight and while my stylist worked we talked about my acts of kindness. She asked me a difficult question. She wanted to know what my favorite thing I have done so far is...and...I couldn't really answer her. I told her that there are so many acts that have been important to me and special, some big and some small, but perhaps the most life changing thus far is the experience I had at the Maya Angelou presentation. I told her that the most profound thing to me on this journey, so far, is how much it has changed me. There is a famous quote, "The more you change the way you look at things the more thing you look at change" and that is certainly true for me. I am noticing more and more the kindness and compassion that others show me and one another. I do not take for granted that someone holds a door for me or negate an encouraging word with suspiciousness. It's like my heart is growing and I am allowing myself to be more open. Not all who know what I am doing get it. Some are cynical. Others believe me to be naive. I am quite the opposite actually. I know that there are horrible and awful things that happen in this world. I hear the stories every day. In fact, I am a warrior against the negative as I put on my armor of kindness every day. I am not perfect and, in fact, far from it. I get grumpy and am short with people, but I don't mean to be. I hope that others can afford me some forgiveness and understanding that I too am a human being that is imperfect and a work in progress. I will keep growing through this journey. 200 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment