Translate

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 59-The Gift of Hospitality

Day 59-On day fifty nine on my kindness journey I was unsure what my act of kindness might be. I lent an extra hand at work, provided a listening ear for someone who needed to be heard and allowed cars out in front of me in an unhurried style. I saw lots of smiles, waves and heard many thank you's today. As I was leaving work, my husband called me. He told me he had several friends who would like to come to our house for dinner and to "hang out." Inside, I died just a little. It's not that I didn't want them to come over, as we always enjoy their company, I just started to think about our mess, how tired I was and what in the world we were going to do for dinner. I knew my husband really wanted to see his friends and knew that we would all benefit from a few good laughs and time to catch up. I took a deep breath and said, "sure...how about pizza?" and kept walking to my car. We've all had those days where what we wanted more than anything was to go home, take a bath, curl up on the couch, and enjoy an adult beverage, but those days are long behind me with a toddler in tow. I figured they wouldn't judge our mess and if they did, I'd ask them to help out cleaning up :) and putting things away. Needless to say, it was a great night and gave my husband a much needed re-charging of his happiness batteries. All were sweet to our son and enjoyed spending time with him. It was a great evening, that could have been ruined if I let the planning side of myself or the structured needs I have get in the way. Instead I accepted that everything "is as it is" and moved forward. I gave them the gift of hospitality and myself the gift of acceptance and some freedom. 206 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment