Translate

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 51-Extra Tip and The Muffin Man

Day 51-Today is day fifty one in my journey of kindness. By now, you may have noticed that I am a slight coffee fiend. I love coffee, enjoy coffee and have a cup every day. In fact, I usually have a large cup every day. I am not an avid cash carrier and am at times, therefore, unable to leave a tip for the friendly baristas who make my coffee on a regular basis. Today happened not to be one of my non cash carrying days. As a result, when I pulled up to the coffee stand I put a substantial tip into the jar. I told them that I do not always carry cash and wanted to leave a substantial tip to make up for all the times I was unable to put a little extra in their jar. They smiled, thanked me and told me to have a great day. Today I also received a letter from the dear man that I wrote to who is serving time in jail as a result of a tragic accident. He thanked me and shared some stories with me regarding his grandchildren. He thanked me for the art that Owen drew for him and told me it lifted his spirits. He also asked me to pass along his gratitude to my mother for her card that she sent to him as well. I, of course, called her immediately to share his kind words with her. Of note, a co-worker returned an act of kindness to me today and brought me a delicious and heart healthy muffin. When she came into my office the morning with the treat I couldn't help but smile and give her a big hug. She shared with me that she made the muffins for a neighbor who had been experiencing some recent health problems and her youngest son got in on the act of kindness. They sang "Do you know the muffin man?", made a mess and memories in the kitchen together. Her story was so sweet that I got teary eyed thinking of what a sweet and empathic young man she is raising. I am grateful to know that such a sweet young man will go out into the world one day to make a difference. Today the word was...hope. I have hope for the world, for the manner in which others may treat one another and hope that the world doesn't have to be such a scary place for my own son to grow up. Mister Rogers once said something to the effect of..."when I would see bad things on the news my mother would say to me...look for the helpers...when bad things happen look for those who are helping...there are always people doing good." (paraphrased of course) Again, I find hope, afterall...it springs eternal. 214 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment