Translate

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 52-Medical Care

Day 52-Today is day fifty two in my journey of kindness. This morning I started off my day at my primary care physician's office to get my lab work completed for a routine physical that I will have in a few weeks. As I sat in the waiting room I was struck with gratitude. I am grateful that my family and I can afford good medical care. While medical care is still expensive these days, even with good insurance, I reflected on the care that my family is able to receive and participate in and realize that others may not have the opportunity or the means to afford wellness visits or other necessary treatments. Many in today's society have difficulty accessing quality health care options. As the technician drew my blood I resolved to myself that I would make a donation today that would provide and help others access medical care in the United States. Some donations that I have made thus far in my journey have benefited those around the world, but today I wanted to target other Americans who may be in need of healthcare services. It saddens me that those who need care the most often have the most difficult time getting the level of care or the quality of service that they need. I hope that the donation that I made today will make a difference in someone's life. I hope that somehow through their own journey and struggle they will feel the warmth that someone out there is thinking of them and supporting them in their struggle. I am grateful for the medical professionals who have made a difference in my life and the life of my family. I am fortunate that my family has been treated with kindness and compassion and whole hearted care, especially in times of our fragility and when we were frightened and uncertain of the outcomes. Thank you to all of those who are out there, who read my blog and are healthcare professionals. Never forget that your interactions with others can make a profound impact. I will never forget the nursing home staff who were with me when my granny started her journey into passing over, who were compassionate and gave me the courage to be fully present with her though that process. I will never forget the emergency room physician who calmly and compassionately encouraged me to continue to breastfeed my seven week old son who had H1N1 (though we didn't know it at the time) while he ran every test known to man to find out what was going on with him because he knew that my son felt comforted while he was being nurtured. I will never forget the nurse who stood by my side and advocated for me to be in constant touch with my sick son while everyone bustled around the room, basically standing on their heads so that my son could be as comforted as possible during the scariest night of our lives. I will never forget the physician, who was teary eyed, in ICU who sat in a chair across from my husband and me, held our hands and gave us the statistics in the survival game we faced with our son. I will never forget the nurses who hug and play with my son when we go to the pediatrician. I will never forget the nurse who took my son after an ENT surgery and brought him back to me with the longest roll of stickers I have ever seen because "he was so snuggly." Believe me, your kindness makes a difference. The time you take to make a child feel like he is your only patient for the day...matters. Thank you from a grateful and humbled heart. 213 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment