Translate

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Day 20-Old Friends

Day 20-Today is day twenty in my kindness journey. It has been a busy Saturday as I have cleaned, done laundry (still have more to do), attended a four year old's birthday party, made a new blanket for my little guy to take to daycare on Monday, and have spent time with my family. As I write this I am tired and looking forward to getting some sleep soon. I have bathed and read a bed time story to my son and my husband is helping him get to sleep. I noticed my husband today as we were out shopping helping others and being kind and felt proud of his easy way of offering assistance in a friendly manner. I was reminded that even small acts of kindness have an impact. There were several times that he could have kept walking or pretended to be too busy to help others, but instead he engaged in friendly conversation and assistance. He returned a shopping cart for a lady and her daughter and spent time chatting with a contractor who had a long day of working on a project at the shopping center. Watching him made me realize that connections with others are always present. I believe this to be true even when there is great distance and sometimes time has lapsed in friendships. Today my kind act was to send a care package to one of my roommate's from college who is expecting her first child. I don't want to give it away, as she could read my blog :), but I sent a little package of items that she might find useful during her pregnancy. I have not seen her since graduation, which will be ten years this May, but still feel a connection with her. I have kept in touch with her through social media and am hoping that we will reconnect when she relocates to the east coast. The small acts are sometimes the most important and I hope my friend Kat will appreciate the gift. Also, last night a friend of mine (sweet Jennifer) messaged me that she made a donation to her local animal shelther to help pay for a lifesaving surgery for a small kitten who had been found with a rubberband around its neck. Kindness is everywhere! 345 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment