Translate

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day 23-Transformation for Donation

Day 23-Today is the twenty third day in my journey of kindness and I made a real sacrifice today. I scheduled an appointment several weeks ago and decided when I went in for a haircut today that I would donate my hair. My mother-in-law is a two time breast cancer survivor and a close friend of one of my friend's is battling cancer for the second time at a very young age. She recently posted a brave picture of herself with her head shaved on social media and I decided that I would donate my hair when I saw her. I talked it over with my stylist and we came up with a game plan. All in all I dontated six eight inch ponytails of hair and have a haircut that is shorter than I have had in years. Certainly it will be an adjustment and something I will have to get used to, but it feels good. The first cut of hair made me a little teary. There was a security in my long hair in a way (that probably sounds weird). While my stylist cut my hair I talked about this journey, my blog and the acts that I have done so far. She smiled and talked about doing a similar mission after the towers were bombed on 9/11. She talked about doing a random act of kindness and by the end of the day someone had done a random act of kindness for her by buying her meal at a restaurant. She talked about how awesome it was to be a part of that cycle and seeing that others were also in :). While we talked, I saw others in the salon acknowledge our missions and saw lots of smiles. I made a real sacrifice of a part of myself that I know will be used to help another person. My donation may help a woman who has lost her hair to chemotherapy feel hopeful, beautiful and more like herself. Although it was an emotional act today I feel good about my decision today. 342 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment