Translate

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 45-Encouraging Words

Day 45-As I continue you journey of kindness I am trying to remember that not all acts of kindness have a monetary value. I am a service professional after all and do not have a large expendable income. As a result, as I embarked on my journey of kindness for day forty five I decided I would make a concerted effort to make positive statements and share encouraging words with each person, with whom I interacted today. As busy as my day was there were times this was difficult. Of course, I always try to say thank you and to express appreciation when others are helpful, share their ideas or give of their time to me at work. I watched as my words touched the ears of each person today and noticed that some smiled, some offered encouragement and positive statements in return and others merely accepted the words visibly unphased by the content or purpose of the message. I was again reminded that sometimes one does not get to see the fruits of one's labor but must understand that seeds of positivity are being planted. I felt particularly tired today so it took some focused effort to complete the task all day. I was rewarded at the end of the day by being able to engage in a fun game of rolling a soccer ball with my son, husband and father-in-law. It is difficult to describe the game we played but my son screamed with laughter throughout and it warmed my heart and provided us all with some much needed joy and distraction. May days I might have come home just wanting to veg out, which is really impossible with a toddler, or complete household chores, but with my focus on encouraging and being fully present with others I remembered to extend this to myself and my family as well. I was handsomely rewarded in the form of a really fun time! 220 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment