Translate

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Day 27-Polar Bears and Husbands

Day 27-Today is the twenty seventh day in this journey of kindness. It has been so interesting to hear the stories of others. A sweet friend of mine named Karen gave a co-worker a coffee apparatus that she no longer uses. Her co-worker couldn't afford the machine herself and it made her day that Karen passed along the one that she had. She could have sold it or thrown it away, and instead chose to give it to someone who would both enjoy and appreciate the gift. What a thoughtful thing to do! Even though there are events that cast a shadow and things seem a little darker these days my faith in the human spirit remains. I still hold on to the hope that human beings are innately empathic and we are wired to be that way. Tonight as I type, I have sent my husband off for a boys' night out with friends. This was an act of kindness itself as I had planned for us to go to dinner and a movie together before he was invited out with friends. I spend more time with my girlfriends than he does with his, and when he received the invitation, I didn't even bat an eye and sent him out with encouragement to enjoy a daddy and spouse free evening. I hope he does enjoy himself :). My second act of kindness for the day is that I adopted a polar bear for the year. I am not quite sure what that means, but I know that I made a donation that will sustain the bear for that amount of time. I think that's kindof a cool thing! I also received a letter today from the hospital where the activity book and crayons were donated and the nurse wrote that it "made a little girls stay much more pleasant." She wrote in the card, "you make a difference." I will take those words as as continued challenge to continue to make a difference. So far this journey has been pretty remarkable. It has been interesting to get to see the results of some of my acts while I will never know how the others turn out, but still have faith that they make a difference. 338 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment