Translate

Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 22-A Donation for the Hospital

Day 22-Today is the twenty second day in my journey of kindness. This morning I met with an interesting challenge. I spent time yesterday evening putting together a coffee cake for my husband to deliver for one of his customers as an act of kindness, but when I came down the stairs this morning to get a cup of milk for our son I noticed the coffee cake was still sitting wrapped in plastic wrap on our kitchen counter. My husband had already left for the day and I knew, as a result of the coffee cake being left behind, that particular act of kindness would have to wait for another day. The act I had planned would not be completed today. I went into problem solving mode and decided that I would mail a package to St. Mary's hospital in Richmond instead. I had already purchased items to send but had not planned to mail them today. I worked all day and then headed to pick up my son. As I headed home I stopped by the UPS store and purchased a large envelope that I loaded with a large Hello Kitty activity and coloring book and large box of crayons. I attached a note of gratitude to the staff in the pediatric unit for providing such good care to my little one year old niece, Maddie, who was recently hospitalized with them for six days due to breathing problems. She is precious and I love her very much and am appreciative for the kind individuals who provided her with good care and nurture while in their care. I wrote on the note that I hoped that a child on the unit would enjoy the items and ask that they be donated to a hospitalized child. I know first hand how nice it is for your child to be provided with items such as these when they are hospitalized. In a way I felt like I was both paying it forward and repaying the universe at the same time. It was an interesting completion of a cycle for me. 343 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment