Translate

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 32-Teacher Appreciation

Day 32-Today is day 32 in my journey of kindness. Forecasted for today was snow in our area and the daycare for my son announced when I dropped him off that they would be closing early. Of course, this was mildly inconvenient as I needed to continue working despite the possibility of inclement weather. I spent the day working, completing my tasks and preparing for my departure to retrieve my son a few minutes early and then return to working as needed. As I packed up to pick up my little guy I remembered that I had purchased and intended to gift several boxes of Girl Scout Cookies. I quickly tucked them into my purse and headed out into the cold rain. It is still raining here and the prediction was that it would quickly become snow by the early evening. I quickly scooted to my car and got in careful to keep the boxes dry and the cookies in good shape. As I drove I listened to the sound of the rain on my car in silence. Even though I am missing the sun I tried to be mindful and grateful for the rain as we have really needed it in our area. I thought about all of those who might benefit from the nourishment provided to the Earth in this way. Again ever mindful of the connections amongst us as creatures on this planet of ours. When I pulled into the daycare dismissal was in full tilt given the bad weather predicted to occur. I again tucked the boxes away, but this time into my jacket to protect them from the elements. I checked into the building and made my way to my son's classroom. Upon entering the room I was greeted by three workers who smiled and welcomed me into the space. I pulled out the cookies and said, "These are for you and I hope you will enjoy them. It's just a little treat I hope to brighten this rainy day!" They smiled and readily accepted them with gratitude. I greatly appreciate the care and nurture that is provided to my son by this staff while he is away from me. This small token is not nearly enough thanks for all that they do, but I hope it will brighten their day and encourage them in knowing that they are appreciated. 333 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment