Translate

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 41-Helping the Hungry

Day 41-Today is day forty one in my journey of kindness. Today I went sledding with my son, made chocolate chip cookies and enjoyed a fun day together. We went out to dinner and as I was sitting in the passenger seat on the way home my husband and I began to talk about how cold it might get tonight. I began to think about all of those who may be suffering a night in the cold or may not be able to afford heat. I considered those who might not have enough food to eat or to feed their children adequately and I knew what my act of kindness would be today. I went online and did some research and found a charity with a good transparency and accountability rating that provides services to families in Virginia. In particular, they provide services to those living in the Prince William area. I made a donation to provide meals for a family for one week. While it may not seem like much I thought about how much of an impact such donations could make if everyone I knew chipped in to help. All of a sudden my brain felt like it might burst as I completed the math in my head. There would be so many helped if just a few people would make donations to their local food pantry. I think we are sometimes intimidated or stop ourselves from helping others because we do not have large amounts of finances available to donate or to time to give. I'm here to tell you, a little bit goes a long way! Just give what you can and watch what good it can do. I am feeding a family for a week with a donation. I would be willing to sacrifice my morning coffee or afternoon treats that I sometimes get for my son and me to be able to do this. How often do I take for granted that my refrigerator is full and my cabinets stocked. I will think of others and will be mindful of food production and consumption. 224 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment