Translate

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Day 44-Once in a Lifetime and an Act Comes Full Circle

Day 44-Today is day forty four in my journey of kindness. I awakened this morning and got ready for work knowing that tonight I had a special date with my friend Karen. We planned to go see Maya Angelou speak in person. I knew that there would be a crowd and I got there early. I was so early in fact that I was the first person in line. Literally, I was the first person there waiting to see her. When my friend Karen joined me the line was about fifteen deep or so and I decided to go to the back of the line so that we didn't cut in front of anyone as others had already been waiting too. When I moved my spot in line the others asked me and I told them, "It seemed unkind to let my friend cut and since the line isn't long, it's the right thing to do." I smiled and they smiled back at me. I stood there knitting and talking to my friend (if you've never knitted standing up...it's a task for sure!). Many of the ladies asked to see the scarf that I was working on and I showed it to them and even showed them how to use the special yarn I was using. One lady gave me her contact information with request that I make her two (if my husband reads this he'll kill me since I knit all the time these days). She wasn't waiting in our line and joined others in a second line waiting at a different entrance to the building. We stood and we waited...we waited and we stood. We were in the line for about three hours, a little over actually, and as we realized all of the students of the college were admitted first and few other special groups there would be little to no room left for the public. Several of the older black ladies ahead of me turned and then talked with one another. They looked back at me and said, "Excuse me, but you were so kind and did the right thing by coming to the back of the line with your friend and we don't think you should miss out on seeing her (Maya Angelou) because you did the right thing." The group of people parted like the red sea and beckoned my friend and me to take passage through them to the front of the line again. I was speechless and hesitant. They saw how hesitant I was and one lady took me by the arm in a grandmotherly fashion and pushed me to the front. Little did I realize when I did it what a profound impact that act of kindness would have on others. As a result of their kindness, my friend Karen and I got in to see Maya Angelou. It was a once in a lifetime and profound opportunity. I literally sat on the edge of my seat the entire lecture soaking up her warmth, wisdom and humor. I was moved and touched by her words and the kindness of the strangers who gave me entrance when they could have thought of only themselves and their own ability to be in attendance. As I took my seat, initially, I saw the ladies file in behind me and thanked them again. When Karen and I left we enjoyed a late dinner and talked about the mob outside of the lecture venue and how badly people behaved yelling and pushing and how grateful we were for the kindness shown to us after we had extended kindness to others. Tonight Maya Angelou said, and I'm paraphrasing, "when you are presented with a good opportunity to do good and to do something kind....do it...say yes." She went on to challenge that we should all be a rainbow for someone else. I feel like that is what I am doing every day on this mission of mine. I am working to bring joy and care to someone every single day. Today was an amazing reminder of how doing the right thing brings good energy. 221 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment