Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 37-Leaving Space for Others

Day 37-Today is day thirty seven in my journey of kind acts. Today in our area it was the coldest it has been all winter. We have been sort of spoiled with mild and unseasonably warm weather. Many weekends we have enjoyed temperatures that were so warm we could play outside in short sleeves or light long sleeve tops. In a way, today felt even colder as a result of experiencing these warmer temperatures thus far in the winter season. As I hurried out the door this morning and strapped my son into his carseat I felt as though I might freeze before I could get into the car myself. Luckily my husband was kind enough to start my car for me on his way to his own vehicle before leaving for work. Also, it is important that you know, I am a bit of wimp when it comes to cold weather. My car registered the temperature as a frigid 20 degrees...brrrrrr. As I pulled into the parking lot at my son's daycare I noticed that at the front of the building where parents park to drop off their children there was only one space left. This meant that others would have to drive around to the back of the building and walk around in order to gain entrance. I considered this as I turned off my blinker and began to creep across the lot. I made a quick decision. I looked into the rearview and explained to my son what I was doing. I said, "Hey buddy. There is only one space left close to the door and we are going to leave it for another family to use. When we park I am going to put your hat and coat on and we will walk quickly to the door." He asked me if we were leaving the space for someone with a baby quick to point out that he is a big boy and would be able to walk. This journey of kindness has included an interesting parallel path for my son. That part of this journey feels really amazing. I could have thought about my own comfort and that of my son. While we were not really in distress due to walking in the cold we were certainly uncomfortable. In order to live with others we must consider the bigger picture of how our choices impact others. 228 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment