Translate

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 31-Candy for a Co-Worker

Day 31-On day thirty one I was aware of those around me. It has been raining for three days and we have had no real sunlight to speak of during that time. As a result I think we are all feeling a little funky, tired and a little out of sorts. By the end of the day today everyone was talking about how tired we all were. When I walked by the office of one of my co-workers I saw her sitting at her desk, head in hand and looking tired. I decided I would give her a little pick me up and provide her with a little treat to help brighten the cold rainy day. I went into my office and opened a bag of chocolate truffles. I picked up a handful and while she was on the phone I snuck into her office. I placed the candies on her desk and she caught my eye. She smiled and said "thank you" quietly. I gently placed my hand on her arm and said "enjoy the little treat." As I move through this journey I am challenged every day to make others' days a little brighter, to offer a little cheer and spread a little happiness. Acts of kindness don't have to be large in order to be profound. There is so much value in noticing another person and sending the message that they are important and valued. We can do this in so many ways. For example, on rainy days like today I make sure to turn my wipers off when I go through drive thrus, for things like my coffee of course :), in order to prevent splashing of the workers. I had a person yesterday thank me for this gesture and say "Do you know how many people don't think to do that...thank you!" Be mindful and empathic and make the world a better place...challenge accepted and I am trying. 334 more days of kindness are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment