Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 16-The Flu and Others Join In

Day 16-Today is the sixteenth day on my journey of kindness. My journey of kindness is to impact others in my own community, around the counry and across the world. So far, my acts have impacted those with whom I interact every day and also those across the world (soccer balls that I donated). Some of my kindness recipients have been known to me and others were strangers. Today my act of kindness was for a family member. In particular, it was for my mother. The flu is going around my community in a serious way and she, unfortunately, feel victim to it at the end of the weekend. When I spoke with her on the phone yesterday afternoon she sounded terrible. I thought of all the times she had taken care of me as a child. I thought of chicken noodle soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, movies, and nurturing care. I decided that I would make a casserole and take it to her this morning to help with meals for both her and my stepfather. Last night I told my son what I was doing and wondered with him if he might like to share some of the delicious gingerbread he and I made together over the weekend. I saw his face and he was hesitant. He has loved gnoshing on the bread and was a little reluctant to part with even a small morsel. After we talked about it, he decided it might help his Nana and Papa feel better and he allowed me to package up several pieces to include in the package of food. I got up and left for work this morning with the casserole and gingerbread. I did not go into the house with them, as I did not want to expose myself or my family to the flu virus, but left the dishes on the porch just outside the front door and let my mother know I brought the items to her. I hope in some way this act provides for their comfort and rest today. I don't want to overlook those closest to me while I am on this journey and want to make sure I offer kindness within my family as well. Interestingly, I noticed on my FaceBook page that two friends, a former co-worker and a colleague with whom I went to graduate school, are getting in on the kindness action with both completing their first act of kindness today. I hope they will keep me posted so that I can share their acts of kindness with you all as well! 349 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment