Translate

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 38-Letter to Jail

Day 38-Today is the thirty eighth day along the path of my year of kindness. I received notification via social media that contained a mailing address for a dear person who is currently incarcerated due to his involvement in a tragic accident. He has nine more months to serve and could use some encouragement was the message. This person is not only kind, but his life has been marked by hardships and emotional upheaval. At times, I can imagine his life experiences may have felt overwhelming and insurmountable. He has always been thoughtful, kind and has a courageous spirit. To this end, I offered my son the ability to be engaged as well. He drew a picture and I wrote a letter on the back that I hope will bring some warmth and caring to this dear man. I presented in my writing humor and encouragement as he continues his time in jail. I told him about the backwards handprints and how my little guy certainly marches to the beat of his own drum and does things in his own special way. It was reported that these fun stories have brought him much enjoyment and I wanted to continue this chain of kindness for him. Many times I have observed that in one is most in need others may not be able to be present. This may be due to their own emotional unavailability or difficulty managing big and difficult feelings. Today I send the message I'll stand by you and uplift you in your time of need. 227 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment