Translate

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 21-Good Stewards of the Earth

Day 21-Today is the 21st day in my journey of kindness. I have been doing this for 21 days...wow! When I started this project I was unsure how it would go, but so far I am still on track for doing a kind act every single day. Several friends have joined in and have shared their own stories of kindness and I am excited about where this path is going and where it will end on day 365. Today I have run errands, which included picking up new dog wash for my Akita. She was in desparate need of a bath and brush today as she is blowing her coat and making a big puppy mess all over the house. After I bathed her, I put her collar on and latched her leash for a good walk to help her dry and to get the loose hair off of her. I tucked a whole roll of green doggy doo bags in my pocket in order to clean up after her should she need to relieve herself on the walk. As we walked through my neighborhood I noticed little bits of trash along the road. I thought about the roll of bags in pocket and pulled two off the roll. I used one like a glove and began filling the other with trash as I walked with my dog. I picked up bottles, pieces of paper, cigarette butts, pieces of plastic and anything else that I spotted along my route. I got to thinking, how often do we as people wait for someone else to do something or go by a task, knowing it needs to be done but thinking we will get to it later. I could have just stepped by the trash on the ground but with my moral compass firmly in place knew that this task was part of my journey. I thought about the impact such trash could have on the environment and animals if left to decay on the grass. I thought about the far reaching impact it might have on others if it remained in the environment rather than being picked up and taken care of. I grew up in an environmentally friendly family and we spent much time outside. We lived by the saying, "take only photographs and leave only footprints." Today I made a difference. What will you do today? 344 more days of kindness...are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment